If you’re new to the keto lifestyle, getting a handle on the things you need to know to succeed at this eating plan can be challenging. We’ve assembled a one-stop keto resource that lists websites, food lists, recipes and apps that can help you on your journey.
Fresh N’ Lean is the nation’s largest organic meal delivery service. Our tasty, chef-prepared cuisine is always fresh and never frozen, and we offer five convenient meal plans: Protein+, Keto, Paleo, Standard Vegan and Low-Carb Vegan. Choose Fresh N’ Lean for affordable nutrition, delivered to your doorstep.
First-time keto dieters may find it daunting to search for reliable food lists, recipes and relevant guides.
They’re scattered across the web. I had the same experience when I started with keto too.
When I learned how easy it is to misuse the diet, I immediately understood the importance of being armed with solid advice. Because when followed correctly, this low-carb, high-fat diet puts you in a state of nutritional ketosis – a metabolic state that improves your health, fitness, brain and physical performance.
As a beginner or someone who has stalled along the way, you’ll probably ask questions such as:
- What are some articles that explain how keto is done?
- What foods are allowed and not allowed?
- How can I track my diet?
- What supplements can I take?
Don’t worry! We’ve put together a comprehensive list of the best keto resources, tools and strategies. Everything you need is right here.
Table of contents
- Keto 101 websites
- Keto food lists
- Keto recipes
- Keto meal delivery & meal plans
- Eating out on keto
- Keto apps
- Ketone testers
- Keto & exercise
- Keto supplements
- Keto cookbooks
- Keto vs. other diets
- Keto communities
- Keto celebrities & athletes
Keto 101 websites
These keto resources explain the diet, how it works, how to get started and how to use it safely and effectively for weight loss and other goals.
- Fresh N’ Lean – Fresh N’ Lean provides a beginner-friendly guide that answers common keto questions, from how the diet works to tips on dining out.
- Diet Doctor – A highly visual guide that explains the keto diet and includes helpful links to relevant resources.
- Kiss My Keto – Kiss My Keto covers the different types of ketogenic diets and the benefits you gain when going low-carb.
- Perfect Keto – This guide contains a helpful infographic that highlights all the basics of keto for the total beginner.
- Virta Health – Virta Health discusses ketones, ketogenesis, nutritional ketosis and keto-adaptation.
- Ketogenic Girl – This brief guide defines the keto diet and important precautions that you should follow if you plan on starting the diet.
- Dr. Axe – If you’re looking to lose weight on keto, Dr. Axe reveals six diet mistakes and steps to succeed on the diet.
- Bulletproof – In this guide, you’ll find common keto side effects and what to do about them.
- Healthful Pursuit – Created by a nutrition educator, this guide teaches women the benefits of keto and how to make it work for them.
- HVMN – Learn the what and why of ketosis and other fundamentals in this scientific keto resource.
- Kettle & Fire – Kettle & Fire highlights the top three mistakes that one should watch out for on a keto diet.
Keto food lists
Before you go shopping at the grocery store to fill your keto pantry, print out at least one of these food lists.
- What to eat – A list of all of the foods allowed on the ketogenic diet
- What not to eat – A list of foods to avoid on keto to burn fat and stay in ketosis
- Grocery list – What to buy on your next trip to the grocery
- Snack list – A list of 46 mouth-watering, low-carb snacks to keep you full and satisfied
- Dessert list – A list of 75 keto-friendly desserts that will satisfy your sugar cravings
- Dinner list – If you’re strapped for time, here are 40 must-try keto dinner recipes
- Lunch list – 11 lunch ideas that’ll meet your keto goals on typical days and special occasions
What can I make for breakfast, lunch, dinner and dessert on a keto diet? Turn to these keto resources for some noteworthy recipes worth trying.
- Breakfast sandwich from Hey Keto Mama
- Keto protein pancakes from Fresh N’ Lean
- Sausage, egg and cheese casserole from Wholesome Yum
- Breakfast cups from Delish
- Breakfast burrito from Ditch the Carbs
- Bacon egg and cheese bites from Maebells
- Grilled veggie plate from Diet Doctor
- Keto burgers from Fresh N’ Lean
- Keto salmon poke bowl from My Keto Kitchen
- Low-carb chili (gluten-free) from Perfect Keto
- Avocado egg salad from Happy Healthy Mama
- Garlic chicken with broccoli and spinach from Gimme Delicious
- Keto mac & cheese from Delish
- Creamy low-carb pork chops from What’s In The Pan
- Keto meatballs and sauce from Taste of Home
- Seared salmon and asparagus with easy hollandaise from Ruled.me
- Keto strawberry ice cream from Fresh N’ Lean
- Peanut butter chocolate brownies from Kiss My Keto
- Keto cheesecake from Wholesome Yum
- Keto brownies from Fresh N’ Lean
- Vanilla pound cake from Keto Mama
Keto meal delivery & meal plans
When your schedule is hectic, order from a keto meal delivery company or prep your meals in advance.
- Fresh N’ Lean – Recommended by Forbes, GMA, The Huffington Post and others, Fresh N’ Lean delivers certified organic, chef-prepared, ket-friendly meals for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
Meal plan ideas
- 14-Day Meal Ketogenic Meal Plan from Diet Doctor
- 7-Day Keto Meal Plan for Weight Loss from Perfect Keto
- Complete Meal Plan for Bodybuilding from Bodybuilding.com
Eating out on keto
Adhering to a ketogenic diet doesn’t have to be a struggle when you’re not at home. These guides show you how to succeed at keto when dining out.
- How to Eat a Keto Diet When Dining Out from Diet Doctor
- 27 Best Restaurants for Keto Dieters from Everyday Health
- Keto Vegetarian Food Options at Major Restaurants from Vegetatio
Do you need help in tracking your macros? How about meal prep? These apps will make sure you stay on top of your diet goals.
- Carb Manager – This app lets you quickly search macros from its database of over 1 million foods.
- Keto.app – Lets you set personal goals and makes sure that you meet them with its food, water, body fat and activity tracker.
- Senza – If you’re looking for an easy way to monitor your daily carb consumption, choose Senza.
- Total Keto Diet – With over 800 recipes, this app is sure to make your keto lifestyle more delicious and enjoyable.
- 8fit – This app teaches you to strive for progress rather than perfection on a keto diet.
- My Macros+ – This app promises to be the “complete diet tracking solution” with its tracking features, meal ideas and social features.
- FatSecret – Need a food diary to keep you on track at any time and any place? This app is totally free, and it’s perfect for keto foods and recipes.
- PlateJoy – Featured in SHAPE and The Wall Street Journal, PlateJoy saves you time while ensuring that you eat better.
The only sure way to know that you’re in ketosis is to test your actual ketone levels. You can measure them through blood, breath and urine. Here are your options when it comes to reliable ketone testers.
Blood ketone testers
Breath ketone testers
Urine ketone testers
Keto & exercise
There are certain tips to keep in mind when following a ketogenic diet and exercising. Start with the information discussed in these keto resources.
- The complete guide to exercising on keto
- Intermittent fasting and keto
- How keto can affect your workouts
- Keto-friendly pre-workout snacks
- How to crush your workouts on keto
- HIIT workouts for weight loss on keto
What supplements can you take on a low-carb, high-fat diet? How does each supplement benefit you? Learn from the keto resources listed below.
- MCT oil – Medium chain triglycerides (MCTs) are converted into ketones in your liver, providing you with an instant source of energy.
- Electrolytes – Electrolytes help fight and prevent symptoms of the keto flu as your body enters ketosis.
- Omega-3 fatty acids – Omega-3 reduces inflammation and supports heart health.
- Exogenous ketones – Exogenous ketones can be consumed by anyone who wants to enter ketosis faster and minimize the effects of the keto flu.
- BCAAs (branched-chain amino acids) – BCAAs support your fitness goals by maintaining muscle mass and reducing post-workout muscle soreness.
- Collagen – The most abundant protein in your body, collagen supports your skin health, joints, hair and heart.
Want a collection of recipes that you can rely on anytime you need a convenient and drool-worthy meal for yourself and your family? Check out these seven cookbooks from keto industry experts.
- Keto Comfort Foods by Maria Emmerich
- Simply Keto (100+ Recipes) by Suzanne Ryan
- The Easy 5-Ingredient Keto Cookbook by Jen Fisch
- Complete Keto Cooking Guide (125+ recipes) by Leanne Vogel
- Keto Diet Cookbook For Beginners by Elizabeth Cunningham
- Ketotarian: Mostly Plant-Based by Will Cole
- Keto Restaurant Favorites by Maria Emmerich
Keto vs. other diets
The keto diet has similarities and differences with other diets. If you’re wondering which benefits you the most based on your goals and preferences, consult any of the keto resources listed below.
- Keto vs. Atkins
- Keto vs. Vegan
- Keto vs. Paleo
- Keto vs. Low-carb
- Keto vs. Carnivore
- Keto vs. Mediterranean
Whenever you need new ideas, inspiration, and a place where you can share relevant experiences, try these communities.
- Keto Yourself Skinny (over 136.6K members) – A Facebook community that focuses on keto not just as a diet, but as a way of life.
- Lazy Keto with Jess (over 206.5K members) – A Facebook community where people can share about their struggles on keto, recipes, and tips to help one another.
- Ketogenic Bodybuilding (over 8.7K members) – A Facebook community that supports physique enthusiasts and bodybuilders on a keto diet.
- r/keto (1.7 m members) – A Reddit community that covers everything keto – life-changing stories, struggles, advice, and more.
- r/veganketo (5.1k members) – A Reddit community where you can find ideas for vegan keto recipes.
Keto celebrities & athletes
Yes, superstars do keto. We’ve picked out some popular celebrities who follow a keto eating plan (or something pretty similar in terms of macro breakdown) based on details about their diet listed on Fitness Clone.
- Mark Sisson, former endurance athlete, fitness author, Ironman
- Joe Rogan, host of JRE podcast, MMA commentator
- Halle Berry, Academy Award-winning actress
- Dave Asprey, founder & CEO of Bulletproof 360
- Aubrey Marcus, founder and CEO of Onnit
- Peter Attia, physician & researcher on longevity
Now that you have the keto resources you need to succeed on your diet journey, be sure to put these ideas and strategies into action! True transformation on a ketogenic diet happens when you incorporate what you learn into your daily life.