Earl Grey Pancakes Recipe
by Analiese Trimber
- Microwave-safe bowl
- Zester / Microplane
- Large pan or griddle
- 1 cup Unsweetened full fat coconut milk
- 3 bags Earl Grey tea
- 2 tbsp Avocado oil
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp Liquid stevia
- 1 tbsp Lemon zest
- 1 ¼ cups Almond flour
- 1 tbsp Arrowroot starch
- 1 tbsp Baking powder
- ¼ tsp Kosher salt
- 1Place coconut milk and Earl Grey tea bags in a microwave-safe measuring cup or bowl. Heat in the microwave until mixture starts to bubble, around 1 minute 30 seconds.·Let tea steep in coconut milk for 5-10 minutes. When done, squeeze all liquid out of tea bags.
- 2Zest lemon.
- 3In a bowl, whisk together Earl Grey mixture, avocado oil, vanilla extract, liquid stevia, and lemon zest.
- 4Add almond flour, arrowroot starch, baking powder, and salt. Mix until combined.·Let sit and thicken for 5 minutes.
- 5Heat a pan or griddle on medium heat. Once hot, transfer 1-2 tbsp of batter to the pan and shape into rounds.·Let cook for 2-3 minutes on each side, or until done. Enjoy with yogurt and more lemon zest.
A British Twist on Your Average Pancake
Everyone loves a good pancake. This beloved food is a breakfast staple (easy to make if you want to meal prep for breakfast), and chances are you have a nostalgic memory of eating pancakes throughout your childhood. When you make dietary choices for your health as an adult – like going on the keto diet – sometimes it’s hard to give up those foods you love you much. That’s why we made this Earl Grey pancakes recipe! These flavorful pancakes are keto-friendly and vegan, with 369 calories, 6 grams net carbs, 35 grams of fat and 9 grams of protein per serving. Plus, this recipe requires only 10 ingredients, and less than 30 minutes to make!
These Earl Grey pancakes aren’t your average pancake, though; they’re infused with Earl Grey tea, a classic British brew with hints of bergamot that dates back to the 1800s. In this recipe, we steep Earl Grey tea in creamy full fat coconut milk to give these pancakes a little extra oomph. This black tea also has its health benefits, in addition to imparting a deliciously bold and zesty flavor to these pancakes. Earl Grey has a high level of antioxidants and has been known to improve digestion. Additionally, despite its caffeine content, many who drink Earl Grey believe it imparts a calming, anxiety-combatting effect due to the aromatherapeutic nature of bergamot.
To bring out the hint of citrus in Earl Grey tea, we added some lemon zest to the batter to make these Earl Grey pancakes extra sharp and delicious. This fresh flavor pairs beautifully with the crispy outside and fluffy interior of these ‘cakes. To keep with the keto-friendly nature of this recipe, we used almond flour and just a touch of arrowroot starch to achieve a texture so good, you won’t believe it’s keto. Feel free to control the sweetness of your Earl Grey pancakes with the liquid stevia. The amount listed makes them fairly sweet, but feel free to decrease and compensate with keto-friendly maple syrup. Top with unsweetened yogurt and more lemon zest for extra zing!