A balanced breakfast is essential for getting through the day, but not everyone has time to spare over the stove in the mornings. This is where breakfast meal prep can be a real lifesaver. With these delicious breakfast recipes, you can meal prep over the weekend and get yourself set up for a week of healthy, hassle-free mornings.
It’s often said that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Despite this, 31 million Americans still give it a miss on a regular basis (and you may well be one of them). The truth is, if you get your breakfast meal prep right, you’re already off to a winner. Your body and mind are primed for whatever challenges may lie ahead. Get it wrong or skip it entirely, and your productivity, motivation and energy levels plummet – setting you up for a struggle from the get-go.
If you often find yourself grabbing a last-minute coffee on the mad dash to work, or improvising a measly breakfast from a mix of children’s cereal and stale bread, fear not…That all stops today.
Join us on our mission to upgrade breakfast as we explore 17 healthy (and delicious) meals that take next to no time to prepare. It’s time to finally get on top of your AM nutrition and start every day as you mean to go on!
Let’s take a look.
The Perfect Meal Prep Breakfast Ideas
Scroll down to check out a varying collection of incredible breakfast recipes – perfect for getting all the nutrition you need with minimal hassle.
Under each staple ingredient, we’ve included recipes that are suitable for:
- Grab and Go: These are meals you fully cook or prep ahead of time – perfect if you’re always in a rush in the morning. They may require quick reheating, but otherwise, need minimal work in the AM.
- Partially Prepared: These are meals that are partially cooked/prepared. Most of the work is done, but they may still require a little morning prep to enjoy the finished dish.
Breakfast Meal Prep: Egg Recipes
1. Scrambled Tofu Breakfast Burrito – 8 min prep time / 22 min cook time
Start your day the right way with this brilliant fast breakfast idea. From start to finish, this vegan breakfast burrito takes a mere 30 minutes to whip up. It’ll keep you feeling full all morning long thanks to the protein powerhouse combo of tofu and ultra-tasty avocado. It’s packed with veggies and healthy spices, making it a well-balanced way to get going in the AM.
2. Scrambled Tofu Breakfast Tacos – 5 min prep / 10 min cook
Need a little fresh breakfast meal prep inspiration? Say hello to scrambled tofu breakfast tacos. Seasoned with a savory array of spices, these tofu tacos can be made completely vegan-friendly by swapping out the goat cheese for a dairy-free substitute. You can also skip that step altogether. Make them ahead then just reheat and eat in the morning.
3. Oven Baked Eggs – 0 min prep / 15 min cook
For a fast, healthy breakfast when you’re short on time, oven baked eggs can’t be beat! Put these in the oven for fifteen minutes while you go about your morning routine. They’ll be ready to pop into a whole wheat English muffin by the time you’re ready to head out the door – flawless breakfast on the go.
4. Vegetarian Black Bean Breakfast Burritos – 15 min prep / 25 min cook
We can’t say it enough. The breakfast burrito is a thing of beauty. They’re outstanding candidates for freezer-friendly meal prep and are easy to take to work if you happen to sleep through your alarm (we’ve all been there.). This vegetarian black bean breakfast burrito boasts 16 grams of protein and loads of flavor.
Breakfast Meal Prep: Oatmeal Recipes
Overnight oats recipes
5. Peanut Butter Banana Overnight Oats (Vegan Option) – 5 min prep / Ready to Eat
Not only is this overnight oats recipe absolutely mouth-watering, but it’s also ideal for anyone looking for high protein breakfast meal prep ideas. Bringing together protein-packed foods like oats, peanut butter, and Greek yogurt, this is one breakfast that won’t leave you feeling hungry. You can even take your protein consumption to the next level by swapping out the almond milk for soy milk.
6. Overnight Oats Five Ways (Vegan Option) – 5 min prep / Ready to Eat
Can’t get enough overnight oats? Here are five takes on this super easy meal prep breakfast classic. Just further proof that oats need never be boring.
7. Overnight Chia Oats with Coconut Yogurt – 5 min prep / Ready to Eat
Overnight oats with coconut yogurt is the vegan-friendly breakfast meal prep plan for anyone who wants to stay healthy while satisfying their sweet tooth. Fresh fruit, nuts, and seeds help make this a complete, nutritious breakfast to see you through until lunch while a drizzle of honey or maple syrup gives a perfect hit of sweetness.
8. Vegan Protein Smoothie Bowl – 10 min prep / Ready-to-Eat
This plant-based smoothie bowl is packed with up to 15 grams of protein, perfect for a boost of energy in the morning.
How to make overnight oats:
- Start with a clean jar with a lid
- Add your dry ingredients: oats, chia seeds, flax seed. Add spices and flavors (cinnamon, nutmeg, etc.)
- Cover with wet ingredients (milk or yogurt)
- Add toppings: nuts & seeds, fruits
- Close & refrigerate
Oatmeal breakfast bars
9. No Bake Meal Prep Breakfast Bars – 10 min prep / 5 min cook
If your busy lifestyle precludes you from making breakfast in the morning and has you scrambling to find time to do meal prep, here’s a great premade breakfast idea for you. No bake meal prep breakfast bars take about ten minutes to put together, plus an hour in the fridge. It really doesn’t get any more convenient.
10. Healthy Banana Porridge (Vegan Option) – 5 min prep
Porridge is absurdly healthy, very filling, but doesn’t need to be plain. Think of porridge as a blank canvas you can customize to suit your tastes. This recipe is superb for warming up on those chilly mornings when you have a bit of extra time to spare.
11. Healthy No Bake Almond Breakfast Bars – 10 min prep / 5 min cook
Granola bars are a great pick-me-up for when you’re on the move, but store-bought bars tend to have undesirable extras. These fantastic no-bake granola bars have a mere five ingredients and are packed with healthy proteins. Make ahead and stash a few in your bag or desk to keep your energy up throughout the day.
12. Protein Breakfast Bars (Vegan and Paleo) – 5 min prep / 15 min cook
Seeds are a super healthy, nutrient dense food which are a must for anyone looking to improve their diet. These delectable protein bars are packed with seeds and other healthy ingredients to create an absolutely divine flavor combination.
13. Toasted Coconut Quinoa Breakfast Porridge – 10 min prep / 20 min cook
Seriously though, who doesn’t love the taste of toasted coconut? This phenomenal porridge recipe brings together the irresistible taste of coconut with quinoa and oats, two plant-based superfoods that everyone can benefit from adding to their diets.
14. Grab & Go Breakfast Oatmeal Cups – 10 min prep / 20 min cook
Love the idea of a breakfast muffin but want something more nutritious? Check out this breakfast oatmeal cup recipe. They’re a stellar gluten-free, vegan-friendly healthy meal prep which you can munch down on the commute to work or pack for a midday snack.
4 ways to liven up oatmeal:
- Black Forest: Dark chocolate + fresh cherries
- Apple Pie: Apple + cinnamon
- PB Jelly: Banana, raspberries & PB
- Pistachio Pear: crushed pistachios & diced pears
Breakfast Meal Prep: Parfait Recipes
All yogurt recipes below can be made vegan by switching conventional dairy yogurt for plant-based variations (soy, almond, coconut etc.).
15. Cinnamon Pecan Vegan Yogurt Parfait – 10 min prep / Ready to eat
If you’re a fan of doing all your meal prep for the week over the weekend but want to keep some variety to your breakfast rotation, this round-up of five easy breakfast meal prep ideas for fall is perfect for you. But let’s be honest. These recipes are so delicious you’ll want to make them all year round!
16. Simple Fruit and Yogurt Parfait – 15 min prep / Ready to eat
With its high protein content, yogurt is an excellent way to set yourself up for the day. These lovely parfaits are perfect for getting in a serving of fresh fruit as well. Plus, the handy trick to keep the granola fresh and crunchy is pure genius. Great on the go.
17. Easy Parfait Breakfast Meal Prep – 5 min prep / Ready to eat
Simple, tasty breakfast meal prep which can be done in five minutes is something we can all get behind. This easy parfait recipe is so quick to make you can whip it together if you have a little extra time in the mornings. Of course, you can also make it ahead to really get a jump on the day. For a healthier option, swap out the vanilla yogurt for Greek yogurt or coconut yogurt if you’re dairy-free.
Partial Prep Smoothies
Partially-made smoothies are a great option for a healthy breakfast on the go. All you need to do is refrigerate your favorite mix of yogurt and fruit in single portion bags at the start of the week, and then blend with your choice of liquid in the morning when you’re ready to go.
Pro Tip: To stop sliced fruit from oxidizing and going brown during storage, dipping the slices in lemon juice or lightly brushing them can help slow the enzymatic reaction and keep them fresh!
Some great-tasting fruit combinations include:
- Mango, pineapple, and banana
- Blueberries, blackberries, strawberries, and raspberries
- Banana and blueberries
- Apple, pear, and raspberries
- Dates, banana, and cocoa
- Acai, blueberries, and banana
Why Should You Meal Prep for Breakfast?
Breakfast. It’s widely regarded as being the most important meal of the day (just ask your grandparents). But it’s perhaps not surprising in our fast-paced modern world that 31 million Americans skip their morning bite on a regular basis.
Why is this such an issue?
The big one for most people is that it can result in lower energy levels and focus throughout the AM. There goes your productivity out the window.
And if you’re looking to lose weight, there’s not much good news either…
You might think that skipping breakfast is an easy way to reduce your caloric intake, but in actual fact it can mean you’re more likely to overeat in later meals, making it even harder for you to reach your body goals.
It gets worse…
If you’re someone who’s currently dealing with health challenges such as diabetes, you may need to be even more careful. Missing breakfast has been shown to cause greater spikes in blood sugar levels in subsequent meals, which can wreak havoc in the body.
So what’s the solution?
It all comes down to preparation.
By setting aside a little time for breakfast meal preparation, you can avoid the morning rush and still have healthy, delicious food on hand to fuel your day.
Let’s take a look at exactly how to get started…
What makes a balanced breakfast?
The beautiful thing about nutrition is that there’s not necessarily a one-size-fits-all approach.
This means there are a whole host of foods that fall under the umbrella of ‘healthy breakfast options’, and plenty of room for creativity.
What you should look for:
- The ideal breakfast is hearty, filling and nutrient dense. You want something that will keep you satisfied, alert and energized all throughout the morning, with no blood sugar spike and crashes, and no pesky brain fog to distract you during work.
- It almost goes without saying that to ensure you stick with your healthy breakfast in the long-run, it’s also got to taste good too.
- In order to achieve this, it’s important to shoot for variety.
- As a general rule of thumb, a combination of lean protein with complex, fiber-rich carbs (like whole grains, fruits, and veggies) is a great place to start.
High protein breakfasts have been shown in scientific literature to help maintain satiety and reduce overeating throughout the day (compared to higher carb, low protein meals).
Likewise, opting for whole-grain, complex carbs instead of simple sugars can help reduce energy intake in subsequent meals, and result in less desire to opt for refined, processed foods to keep you going.
3 Breakfast Staples to Prep Into Balanced Breakfasts
If you find yourself perpetually hitting the snooze button, skipping breakfast and making the mad dash to work in the morning with a quick cup of coffee (at best), we’ve got you covered.
No more missing out on important morning nutrition – we’re going to share a few simple principles (and delicious recipes) you can use to get a great headstart on the day (without having to spend hours in the kitchen).
If you want to go super minimalist, a balanced breakfast can be as simple as eating 1-2 hard boiled eggs, an apple, and drinking a glass of milk. It doesn’t have to be any more complicated than that if you don’t want it to be.
But if you want to liven up your mornings and enjoy speedy, great-tasting, gourmet-esq meals, here are some simple ideas for you to play around with.
All you need to get started are these three breakfast staples:
Breakfast Staple #1: Eggs
There are a whole host of reasons why eggs are an awesome way to kickstart your morning:
- For starters, they’re packed with protein to aid in muscle repair and keep you feeling fuller for longer.
- They’re also super rich in fat-soluble vitamins like Vitamin K, Omega-3 fatty acids, and minerals like iron and magnesium.
- On top of all that, they contain disease-fighting carotenoids like lutein and zeaxanthin.
To make any egg-based meals even more satisfying, add a source of high-fiber carbohydrates, such as whole grain toast, English muffins, tortilla, vegetables, or a side of fruit.
Another massive benefit of opting for eggs is that they’re so versatile:
- Hard Boiled eggs
- Sunny Side up eggs
- Simple Scrambled eggs
Breakfast Staple #2: Oats
It may not get as much press as quinoa or spirulina, but the humble oat might just be one of the most nutritionally complete foods on the planet today.
- Used as fuel by fearsome Scottish Highlanders as they headed into battle, oats make for an incredible source of high-fiber, low-GI carbs – perfect for slow-release energy.
- Oats contain a surprising amount of protein too, along with a healthy dose of unsaturated fatty acids.
- They’re also rich in energizing B-Vitamins and a wide range of important minerals too, including selenium, manganese, magnesium, and zinc.
Overnight oats are a perfect breakfast meal you can grab and go when you’re in a rush. Get creative and tantalize those tastebuds by experimenting with various fruit, nuts, and seeds for toppings, and milk or yogurt varieties for soaking.
Breakfast Staple #3: Yogurt
Yogurt is another excellent source of protein (particularly Greek and Icelandic varieties), and it’s also jam-packed with important micronutrients like calcium and phosphorus.
One important thing to note:
When it comes to choosing the perfect yogurt, it’s important to read your food labels, as many varieties labeled ‘low fat’ are instead packed with processed sugars.
If you’re lactose intolerant or simply trying to limit dairy, the good news is that there are more and more plant-based options available these days – including coconut and almond-based yogurts.
To really spice things up, you can mix your yogurt with a variety of toppings or incorporate it into a smoothie blend to really craft that perfectly balanced breakfast.
Conquer Your Morning & Win The Day
No more skipping breakfast and feeling sluggish until lunch. You’re now armed with all the knowledge and recipes you need to take back control over your breakfast and get a great headstart on the day.
All you have to do is start putting things into action.
Remember to start small, have fun experimenting with the recipes, and above all, find what works for you and allows you to make breakfast meal prep a permanent habit.