Vegan Walnut Lentil Enchiladas Recipe
by Analiese Trimber
- Large pan
- Rectangular baking dish
- Aluminum foil
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- 1 cup Crushed walnuts
- ½ tsp Kosher salt
- ½ tsp Ground pepper
- ½ tsp Chili powder
- ½ tsp Ground cumin
- ½ tsp Garlic powder
- 1 15-oz can Red enchilada sauce
- 7-8 Corn tortillas
- ½ cup Shredded vegan cheddar and/or mozzarella
- 2 tbsp Cilantro (optional)
- 1Heat olive oil in a pan. Add walnuts and sauté for 5-7 minutes, until soft.·Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- 2Add spices and ¼ cup enchilada sauce and stir to combine. Sauté for 1-2 minutes, or until fragrant.
- 3Add lentils and stir again.
- 4Spread 2-3 tbsp of enchilada sauce on the bottom of your pan. Add about 2-3 tbsp of filling to a tortilla. Roll it up and place in pan.·Repeat with remaining tortillas and filling mixture.
- 5Pour remaining enchilada sauce on top of rolled tortillas. Sprinkle cheese on top. Cover with foil and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until cheese is melted.·Then, uncover and cook for 5-7 minutes longer, until sauce is bubbly. Enjoy!
A Mexican Classic With a Vegan Twist
We’re from the school of thought that you should never miss out on a classic dish, no matter your dietary restrictions. That’s why we whipped up these vegan walnut lentil enchiladas, for all you vegans and vegetarians out there! Crushed walnuts and canned black lentils are sautéed with warming spices like cumin, chili powder, and garlic powder, and tossed in a deliciously spicy red enchilada sauce all nestled in yummy warm corn tortillas and topped with melty vegan cheese.
These walnut lentil enchiladas are the perfect meal to make for a small group, or to prepare and portion out for vegan meal prep throughout the week. Each serving has 451 calories, with 35 grams carbohydrates, 34 grams fat, and 7 grams protein, making this dish filling and hearty – perfect for refueling after a long day, or a tough workout. We added canned lentils for added protein, but if you are looking for even more, feel free to add a vegan meat substitute of your choosing.
We make our vegan walnut lentil enchilada with corn tortillas, but the beauty of this dish is that you could make them with flour tortillas, or a paleo or grain-free version made from cassava flour. If you’re feeling like mixing it up even more, try a green enchilada sauce instead! Don’t be afraid to have fun, even on a plant-based meal plan.
Walnuts are the star of the show in these vegan walnut lentil enchiladas, and for good reason! Not only does the buttery, rich taste give off meat vibes in this dish, this nutritional nut is also full of antioxidants. It’s also known to be full of polyphenols and vitamin E, which contribute to brain health and lower inflammation. Lentils add even more benefits to this dish, including rich amounts of iron and folate.