Tomato Basil Pesto Tofu Scramble Recipe
by Analiese Trimber
- Tofu press or heavy book
- Baking sheet
- Large pan
- 15 ½ oz Extra firm tofu
- 1 cup Cherry tomatoes
- 1 ½ tbsp Avocado oil
- ⅓ cup Diced onion
- 1 tbsp Minced garlic
- ¾ tsp Kosher salt
- ¾ tsp Ground pepper
- ½ tsp Dried oregano
- ¼ tsp Dried basil
- ¼ tsp Paprika
- ⅛ tsp Red pepper flakes
- ¼ cup Vegan pesto
- 2 tbsp Fresh basil (optional)
- 2 tbsp Vegan ricotta (optional)
- 1Slice tofu in half so it is half as thick. Wrap tofu in a towel and press with a tofu press or heavy book.·Press for 10 minutes.
- 2Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Place cherry tomatoes on a baking sheet. Toss with ½ tbsp avocado oil, ¼ tsp kosher salt, and ¼ tsp ground pepper.·Bake for 10-20 minutes depending on the size of your tomatoes, or until they all burst.
- 3While tomatoes are cooking, heat 1 tbsp avocado oil in a large pan. Add diced onion and sauté for 3-5 minutes, or until soft.·Add minced garlic and sauté for 1 minute more.
- 4Add ½ tsp salt, ½ tsp pepper, oregano, basil, paprika, red pepper flakes, and tofu.·Break tofu apart with a spoon until a crumbled consistency, and sauté for 5 minutes or until soft.
- 5Dress tofu scramble with vegan pesto, top with roasted tomatoes.·Optional: garnish with fresh basil and vegan ricotta.
Tofu Scramble So Good You Won’t Miss the Eggs
Everyone knows that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. But if you follow the ketogenic diet, or if you are vegan, savory breakfasts can sometimes be a struggle. Many breakfast eaters rely on eggs for sustenance first thing in the morning, but obviously they’re out of the question if you’re vegan. However, we can’t say no to a good tofu scramble, and this tomato basil pesto tofu scramble recipe will surely help brighten your morning.
Once pressed and then cooked, extra firm tofu crumbles into that well-known scrambled egg consistency. What’s great about this tomato basil tofu scramble recipe is that tofu provides a nice meaty texture and is a great source of protein and essential amino acids. We season our tofu with some garlic, onion and paprika, a spice known to help boost immunity, and even promote better eyesight thanks to antioxidants like lutein and zeaxanthin.
Cherry tomatoes add a sweet, acidic profile to our dish. In addition to their sweetness, cherry tomatoes are packed with vitamin C, and contain an amino acid known as lycopene, which has been known to heighten skin protection from the sun. We keep the seasoning simple with our roasted tomatoes, using just olive oil, salt, and pepper.
To add a little flavor punch to our scramble, we serve it with a bit of vegan pesto. This incredible sauce is made with fresh basil, crushed garlic, pine nuts and, traditionally, a hard grated cheese. The vegan rendition leaves out the cheese, but still tastes amazing! While there won’t be any cheese in this gluten and dairy-free tomato basil pesto tofu scramble, you can actually incorporate vegan ricotta as a garnish to add a bit of creaminess to the final product, and while remaining safe for a vegan meal plan.
This easy-to-make vegan tomato basil pesto tofu scramble recipe will only take about 30 minutes to prepare, but with only about 330 calories and 4g net carbs, this should make you excited for breakfast every day.