Keto "Potato" and Leek Soup Recipe
by Analiese Trimber
- Large soup or stock pot
- Immersion or regular blender
- 1 large Leek
- 1 Shallot
- ¼ cup Olive oil
- 3 tsp Minced garlic
- 5 cups Raw cauliflower florets
- 4 cups Vegetable broth
- 1 tbsp Lemon juice
- ⅔ cup Coconut cream
- 1 Bay leaf
- ½ tsp Kosher salt
- ½ tsp Ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp Chopped chives (optional)
- 1Finely dice shallot. Chop end off of leek. Chop green stalks off of leek. You will be left with just the white/light green part of the leek.·Slice in half thickness, then thinly slice. Rinse leeks in a colander to remove dirt.
- 2Heat olive oil in a large soup or stock pot. Add leeks and shallots and sauté about 5-7 minutes, until soft.
- 3Add salt, pepper, and garlic and sauté 1 minute more.
- 4Add cauliflower florets, vegetable broth, lemon juice, coconut cream, and bay leaf to pan. Stir to combine and bring mixture to a boil.·Cover and turn heat down to a simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- 5Blend soup with an immersion blender, or let it cool slightly and transfer to a blender. Blend until smooth.·Optional: garnish with chives and coconut cream.
A Creamy Classic – Without the Dairy!
How could one not love potatoes? They’re extremely versatile and can be turned into a variety of dishes such as French fries, gnocchi, cheese sauces, and even typically dairy-laden dishes such as potato and leek soup! This root vegetable is truly one of the most miraculous and satisfying veggies in existence, so any diet that doesn’t allow them – like the keto diet – is a tough one.
However, we have some good news! We’ve found a way to mimic that creamy texture of your classic potato and leek soup by replacing it with cauliflower! Our cauliflower florets soak up the flavors of sauteed leeks and shallots, and they grow to be even more flavorful after simmering in yummy vegetable broth and coconut cream! Just a handful of ingredients and 35 minutes stand between you and a bowl of this delicious and keto-friendly “Potato” and Leek Soup.
This vegan, paleo, and keto “Potato” and Leek Soup recipe makes the perfect entree for nights when you might want a lighter meal. You can also enjoy this soup as an appetizer, paired with any entree from our keto meal plan! Depending on your serving size, each bowl of soup is just 131 calories, with 6 grams net carbs, and 10 grams healthy fats, making it a low-calorie option for both dinner or an appetizer.
Part of the allium family, leeks are veggies that are low in carbs, but they still impart a ton of flavor. In addition to the tastiness they bring to any dish, leeks are also high in vitamin K and compounds like manganese, which are essential for your brain and nervous system. By adding shallots to our soup, we’re amplifying that allium magic even more!
Even if you live in a place where it’s warm year-round, don’t sleep on the comforting nature of a bowl of soup you made from scratch!