Keto Philadelphia Sushi Roll Recipe
by Analiese Trimber
- Plastic wrap
- 12 oz Frozen riced cauliflower
- 1 tbsp Rice wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp Monkfruit sugar
- ½ tsp Sea salt
- 4 Nori sheets
- 6 tbsp Vegan cream cheese
- ½ Large cucumber
- 3 oz Smoked salmon
- ¼ cup Pickled sushi ginger (optional)
- 3 tbsp Coconut aminos or GF soy sauce (optional)
- 1 tbsp Sesame seeds (optional)
- 1Add frozen riced cauliflower to a microwave-safe bowl. Add rice wine vinegar, monkfruit sugar, and sea salt. Stir to combine.·Cover with a towel and microwave according to package instructions.
- 2Add 2 tbsp vegan cream cheese to cooked cauliflower rice and stir to fully combine. Let cool.
- 3Chop cucumber into thin matchstick slices.
- 4Place a towel on a cutting board or counter top surface. Place a layer of plastic wrap on top of the towel, then a sheet of sushi nori on top of that. Spread a thin layer of cauliflower sushi rice onto nori sheet, leaving an inch or so at the top and bottom.·Add smoked salmon, spread with cream cheese, and then add cucumber matchsticks.
- 5Use your hand to roll gently into one long sushi roll. Then chop sushi roll into individual slices, about ½ inch thick. Repeat with remaining ingredients.·Optional: serve with coconut aminos, pickled ginger, and sesame seeds.
Philadelphia’s Favorite Sushi Roll Gets a Makeover
I know what you’re thinking…sushi? On the keto diet? Well, the answer is YES, and we couldn’t possibly be more excited about it. In this recipe we take your traditional Philadelphia Sushi Roll and turn it a dish that’s keto! This delicious and healthy recipe is made with smoked salmon, vegan cream cheese, cucumber, and cauliflower sushi rice. Wrap it all up in a sheet of nori and you have every keto dieter’s dream in the palm of your hands!
This recipe makes about 4 rolls total, perfect for two people to enjoy, or one if you’re extra hungry today. Each serving has only 234 calories, with just 6 grams net carbs, 11 grams of fat, and a whopping 19 grams of protein! Not to mention, this recipe only takes 15 minutes to throw together – that’s faster than ordering takeout from your favorite sushi place!
To make our cauliflower rice emulate the flavors of real sushi rice, we add a bit of rice wine vinegar and monkfruit sugar for that slight sweet tang we all love. Monkfruit is a keto-approved sugar alternative that is safe to consume on the keto diet because it’s considered a sugar alcohol, and therefore has zero net carbs. Since cauliflower isn’t as sticky as rice, we use a bit of vegan cream cheese to bind everything together so it’s easier to assemble your roll.
Smoked salmon is the star of the show in this dish, contributing great flavor and a ton of nutritional value. Not only is smoked salmon packed with protein, it’s also a great source of omega-3s, vitamin B, selenium, and more! Plus, since smoked salmon already comes prepared at the store, there is no raw fish preparation necessary for this Keto Philadelphia Sushi Roll!
Vegan cream cheese is another important ingredient in this recipe, so choose your brand wisely. We recommend Violife and Kite Hill, but feel free to experiment. If you do consume dairy, feel free to substitute with real cream cheese! This Keto Philadelphia Sushi Roll is going to become a favorite in your house. It’s the perfect light meal on its own, or more filling paired with an entree from our keto meal plan!