Ditch the snacks with empty calories and replace them with these healthy snack alternatives. Our list includes kale chips and homemade french fries.
Most of us love to eat snacks when we are stressed or waiting for dinner to be ready.
Instead of getting full from junk food, which is often full of salt and empty calories, we can enjoy healthier snack options to keep us satisfied and avoid getting “hangry.”
Ultimately, the goal is to follow a healthier lifestyle. Here are four healthy alternatives to your favorite snacks.
If you’re looking for plant-based snack ideas, here are 10 super easy vegan snacks you can make at home or buy in the store.
1. Bake your own french fries and potato chips
Recreating a healthy version of french fries or potato chips is easier than you think. Here are some simple fries and chips recipes that you can try:
Golden Wedge French Fries
- Thinly cut a couple potatoes into wedges
- Put them on a cookie sheet with foil
- Add some olive oil and sprinkle salt on top to your liking
- Place them into the oven at 450 degrees to bake until they are golden brown
If you prefer sweet potato fries, you can follow this simple recipe.
Classic Potato Chips
- Thinly cut the potato into rounds
- Lightly coat in olive oil and sprinkle salt on top to your liking
- Bake them at 450 degrees until they are brown
Crispy Kale Chips
- Rinse the kale with cold water
- Cut off the kale stems and cut the kale leaves into smaller pieces
- Lightly toss them in oil and sprinkle salt to your liking
- Bake them at 450 degrees until the edges are lightly brown (approximately 10-15 mins)
2. Go for dark instead of milk chocolate
Instead of buying a traditional milk chocolate bar, choosing dark chocolate may provide more bang for your buck. The higher the percentage of cocoa in dark chocolate may have some health benefits.
Eat dark chocolate that has 70-85% cocoa in it. Dark chocolate in small quantities (3.5 oz) provides you with 11 grams of fiber and minerals such as iron, magnesium, potassium, and zinc.
See, you don’t have to give up chocolate if you don’t want too!
3. Create hearty nachos
Instead of making the traditional Mexican nachos with tortilla chips and creamy nacho cheese – you can make these Middle Eastern style nachos with whole grain pita chips:
- Use whole grain pita chips as the base
- Spread a hearty layer of your preferred hummus
- Add a half cup of the following ingredients: diced tomatoes, cucumber, red onion
- Sprinkle feta cheese or vegan tofu feta cheese on top and voila – you have a healthier version of nachos.
4. Enjoy a fruit salad when you are craving sweets
We all have our sweet tooth. Sometimes the dark chocolate isn’t enough or doesn’t satisfy our taste buds. A fruit salad with your favorite fruit might hit the spot.
For a colorful, tart, and sweet combo, toss together strawberries, blueberries, melon slices, peaches, and pineapples.
You can leave your fruit salad as is, or add some dairy-free yogurt, low-fat granola, coconut shavings or raw organic honey if you want something a little extra. It is all up to you. You can never go wrong with a bowl of fruit salad to cool you down on a summer day.
We hope that you give these healthy snack alternatives a try!
Did we miss a snack that we should have mentioned? Share it with us in the comments below.
Related: Healthy foods and snacks for travel
Fresh N Lean is the nation’s largest organic meal delivery service. Our tasty, chef-prepared cuisine is always fresh and never frozen, and we offer convenient meal plans like Protein+, Keto, Paleo, Standard Vegan and Mediterranean. Choose Fresh N Lean for affordable nutrition, delivered to your doorstep.