Spicy Tofu Butter Chicken Recipe
by Analiese Trimber
- Baking sheet
- Parchment paper (optional)
- Small pot
- Large pan
- 14 oz Extra firm tofu
- 1 tbsp Corn starch
- 1 cup White rice, dry
- 1 tbsp Minced garlic
- 2 tbsp Minced ginger
- 1 cup Diced onion
- 3 tbsp Olive oil
- ¼ tsp Garlic powder
- ¾ tsp Garam masala
- 1 ½ tsp Curry powder
- ½ tsp Coriander
- ¼ + ⅛ tsp Cayenne pepper
- ¼ cup Tomato paste
- 13.5 oz Coconut cream
- ¾ tsp Salt
- 1Chop tofu into 8 large chunks.·Preheat oven to 425°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- 2Toss tofu with 1 tbsp olive oil, corn starch, ¼ tsp salt, and garlic powder. Transfer to baking sheet.·Bake for 25 minutes, flipping halfway.
- 3While tofu is baking, prepare rice to package instructions.
- 4While rice and tofu are cooking, heat 2 tbsp olive oil in a large pan. Add onion and sauté for about 5 minutes or until soft.·Add ginger, garlic, ½ tsp salt, garam masala, curry powder, coriander, cayenne, tomato paste, and coconut cream. Stir to combine then let simmer for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 5Toss tofu in sauce. Break into smaller pieces if you'd like.·Serve over rice.
A Vegan Version of an Indian Classic
Butter chicken is a staple dish in Indian cuisine that is typically loaded with cream. This vegan version tastes just as great without any animal products! The sauce is a rich gravy thickened with luscious coconut cream and accented with spices that provide a symphony of flavors in just 20 minutes on the stove. Tofu provides a heartiness to the dish. It’s all served over rice with 36 grams of healthy fats and 14 grams of plant-based protein in each serving.
This spicy tofu butter chicken recipe is perfect for a weeknight dinner after a long day, and comes together in just 35 minutes. The sauce is full of nutritious ingredients with loads of benefits. Garlic is part of the allium family and is known for its medicinal properties, antioxidants, and ability to lower blood pressure and cholesterol. Ginger is great for digestion and has anti-inflammatory properties. Garam masala, curry powder, coriander, and cayenne pepper are spices that boost your health and give this dish its multitudes of flavors and heat.
Tomato paste gives this dish its orange hue when combined with coconut cream, an amazing ingredient that transforms the texture of this spicy tofu butter chicken while providing healthy fats and contributing towards heart health. Oven-baked tofu is a great source of plant protein and rich in both calcium and iron. This ingredient is tossed with olive oil, salt, garlic powder, and a bit of corn starch, which gives a slight crust and golden brown hue when baked.
The tofu is then combined with the rich tomato gravy and served over rice. The unique texture of baking the tofu with a slight crust and then combining with the sauce mimics tender chicken quite nicely. Top with some chopped parsley for a pop of color and you have a restaurant-quality meal in your own home! This spicy tofu butter chicken recipe yields four servings, so it’s the perfect meal to make for a small get-together or to meal prep throughout the week.
Take a look at our fully-prepared vegan meal delivery service if you’re having a busy week and the thought of turning on the stove makes you feel dread! Spicy tofu butter chicken is great, but we totally get not having time to prepare a proper meal.