Savory Chickpea Pancakes with Kale Recipe
by Analiese Trimber
- Non-stick pan or griddle
- Large pan
- ¾ cup Chickpea flour
- ¾ tsp Kosher salt
- ¼ tsp Dried oregano
- 1 tbsp Arrowroot starch
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- 9 tbsp Plant-based milk
- 1 Medium yellow onion
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- 2 cups Chopped kale
- 1 ½ tbsp Minced garlic
- 1 tbsp Lemon juice
- 15 oz Canned chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- ¼ tsp Ground pepper
- 2 tbsp Vegan cream cheese
- 1In a medium bowl, whisk together all ingredients for pancakes.
- 2Heat a non-stick pan or griddle. Scoop pancake batter onto pan. Cook for 1-2 min each side, or until golden brown.·Flip and cook 1-2 more minutes on the other side.
- 3Remove skin and thinly slice onion. Transfer to pan along with olive oil and sauté on medium low for 10-15 minutes, or until onions are caramelized.
- 4Add kale, garlic, lemon juice, chickpeas, ¼ tsp kosher salt, and ground pepper. Sauté for 5 minutes more, or until kale is wilted and cooked.
- 5To assemble pancakes, spread a layer of cream cheese on a pancake. Top with kale and onion mixture. Enjoy!
Savory Pancakes That Will Change Your Mind About Vegan Breakfast
For those that love pancakes but can’t fit gluten or dairy into their diets, these chickpea pancakes with kale & caramelized onions will help satisfy your pancake craving one tasty vegan pancake at a time.
Instead of all purpose flour, this recipe calls for chickpea flour, which is made from processed chickpeas. This version of flour is high in fiber, while being low in carbs and calories. While chickpeas may not be considered a superfood, this flour is packed with essential nutrients that help with everything from blood sugar levels to digestive health. Chickpeas can be found in cooking all over the world, so why not utilize the benefits of chickpeas in your own kitchen!
After combining the ingredients for your pancake batter in a large bowl, create your pancakes on the griddle, or pan. Cook each pancake until golden brown. Next, we add some flavor with yummy caramelized onions. Adding onions to any dish will bring out extremely aromatic fragrances as it cooks. Onions are also great for digestive health, as studies have shown that onions can stop the growth of harmful bacteria.
Adding kale to this mix only enhances the dietary benefits. Kale is one of the healthiest leafy greens, packed full of vitamins A and K. In fact, about 2.5 ounces of raw kale contains more than 200 percent of the daily value of vitamin A and more than 600 percent of vitamin K!
In less than 40 minutes, you can create this vegan & gluten-free chickpea pancake with kale & caramelized onions recipe that has 565 calories per serving, less than 20 grams of fat, and 26 grams of plant-based protein. So, next time you’re in the mood for pancakes but want to stick to your vegan meal plan, don’t forget about this nutritious and delicious pancake alternative. You’ll never look at chickpeas the same!