Pumpkin Mac 'n Cheese Recipe
by Analiese Trimber
- Small pan
- Large pot
- 1 box Pasta (vegan-friendly)
- ¼ cup Raw pine nuts
- 15 oz Pumpkin purée
- 13.5 oz Full fat coconut milk
- 1 ½ tbsp Lemon juice
- 2 tbsp Vegetable stock
- ½ tsp Ground pepper
- 1 tsp Ground turmeric
- 1 tsp Garlic powder
- ½ tsp Smoked paprika
- 2 tbsp Vegan ricotta cheese (optional)
- 1 tsp Red chili flakes (optional)
- ½ tsp Salt
- 1Place pine nuts in a small pan and toast for 6-8 minutes until golden brown, stirring frequently.
- 2Add toasted pine nuts, pumpkin purée, coconut milk, lemon juice, vegetable stock, turmeric, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and smoked paprika to a blender and blend until smooth.
- 3Transfer sauce to a saucepan and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to medium low and simmer for 20-25 minutes, or until sauce has reduced by half.
- 4While sauce is simmering, prepare pasta to package instructions.
- 5Combine sauce and pasta and serve!·Optional: garnish with red chili flakes, toasted pine nuts, and vegan ricotta cheese.
Creamy Pumpkin-Based Mac You’ll Crave
Vegan mac ‘n cheese is tricky for obvious reasons. That doesn’t stop me from craving it, though. Naturally, we crave the things we can’t have all the time! I’ve been lactose intolerant my entire life, so I’ve had plenty of time to pine for mac ‘n cheese. When I was little, I was so addicted to Kraft that I would suffer the consequences of consuming dairy, and they were not pretty.
Nowadays, that discomfort from eating dairy isn’t worth it for me. Which means it was time for a vegan mac ‘n cheese recipe that’ll have you coming back for more! I’m not a huge fan of nutritional yeast so there isn’t any in this recipe, but I’ve always found that some toasted pine nuts emulate a bit of a cheesy taste. Hope you enjoy!
This mac is also paleo-friendly if you use a paleo pasta like this one!