Lentil Chickpea Curry Recipe
by Analiese Trimber
- Large pan
- Small pot
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- 1 cup Diced onion
- 2 tsp Minced garlic
- 1 tbsp Grated or minced ginger
- 2 ½ tbsp Tomato paste
- 2 tsp Curry powder
- ¾ tsp Salt
- ½ tsp Ground pepper
- 1 ¾ cup Vegetable broth
- 1 tbsp Lime juice
- ¾ cup Coconut milk
- ½ cup Dry red lentils
- 1 15-oz can Chickpeas, rinsed & drained
- 3 cups Spinach
- 1 cup White rice
- 2 tbsp Fresh cilantro (optional)
- 1Heat olive oil in a pan over medium heat. Add diced onion and sauté for 5-7 minutes, or until soft and translucent.
- 2Add minced garlic and ginger. Sauté for 1 more minute. Add tomato paste, curry powder, salt, and pepper.·Mix to combine. Sauté for 2-3 minutes, or until spices are fragrant.
- 3Add broth, lime juice, coconut milk, lentils, and chickpeas. Stir together to combine. Bring to a boil.·Then, cover and turn heat to low for 15-20 minutes, or until lentils are done.
- 4Stir in fresh spinach until wilted.
- 5Prepare rice to package instructions and serve with curry.
Comfort in a Bowl, Perfect for Gloomy Days
It’s that time of year when you can never have too many warming, comforting meals on deck. This lentil chickpea curry recipe is perfect for any rainy or snowy night in, and is loaded with 23 grams of protein per serving, so it will keep you full for hours! There’s nothing worse than taking time out of your day to cook a meal and being hungry an hour later! Each serving also has 84 grams carbs, 17 grams healthy fats, and 583 calories, so it’s great for those who are looking for filling, high-protein dishes.
We like to serve our lentil chickpea curry with white rice, but if you’re looking to incorporate even more vegan protein in your diet, feel free to substitute white rice with quinoa! Either base will soak up the deliciousness of this easy-to-make curry that’s flavored with vegetable broth, coconut milk, tomato paste, and curry powder. Nestled in the sauce are canned chickpeas, red lentils, and spinach for a vibrant and nourishing meal that you’ll want to make over and over again.
This lentil chickpea curry recipe makes three good-sized portions, and is a great candidate for meal prep given this delicious curry tastes even better the next day after the flavors meld together overnight! All you need are 30 minutes and a handful of common ingredients and you’ve created a meal that’ll keep you satiated for multiple meals. You can even store your leftovers in the freezer to extend their shelf life!
This vegan lentil chickpea curry is loaded with healthy fats and high-protein ingredients like red lentils and chickpeas. It’s also naturally gluten-free and dairy-free, like everything we do here at Fresh N’ Lean. Enjoy this dish as a meal on its own, or nom on some of our famous snacks from our plant-based meal plan!