Eggplant Lasagna Recipe
by Analiese Trimber
- Oven-safe baking dish
- 2 medium Eggplants
- 1 cup Vegan ricotta cheese
- ¾ cup Shredded vegan mozzarella
- ¼ cup Unsweetened plant-based milk
- 1 cup Keto-friendly tomato sauce
- 2 tbsp Chopped parsley
- ½ tsp Garlic powder
- 1 ¼ tsp Kosher salt
- ¼ tsp Ground pepper
- 1Slice eggplant into ¼ inch slices thick slices. Sprinkle with 1 tsp salt and let sweat for 10 minutes. Dry eggplant slices with a towel.·Preheat oven to 375°F.
- 2In a bowl, combine vegan ricotta, ⅓ cup vegan shredded mozzarella, plant-based milk, parsley, ¼ tsp salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
- 3In an oven-safe pan, spread half of the keto-friendly tomato sauce to cover the entire bottom of the pan. Top with a layer of eggplant.
- 4Add half of the ricotta mixture and spread evenly. Repeat another eggplant layer, and then spread the remaining ricotta mixture on top.
- 5Top eggplant with the remaining keto-friendly tomato sauce. Sprinkle with ¾ cup shredded vegan mozzarella or to preference.·Bake for 25-30 min or until cheese is bubbly. If you want it more melty you can turn on the broiler for the last 5 minutes of cooking.
An Italian Classic Goes Vegan & Keto
Keto dieters and vegans alike, get ready for this eggplant lasagna recipe! Made with eggplant slices, vegan ricotta and vegan mozzarella cheese, and keto-friendly tomato sauce, this dish is both an indulgent entree and healthified version of an Italian classic. This recipe makes eight servings and is one of those meals that tastes even better the day after it’s made, making it the perfect dish for meal prep throughout the week!
Each serving of this delicious keto and vegan eggplant lasagna is 221 calories, with 12 grams net carbs, 15 grams of fat, and 7 grams of protein. Enjoy this as a main dish, or as a side dish with a nice salad and form of protein, like chicken or tofu. By using eggplant as the main ingredient instead of pasta, we’re able to cut the carb count down immensely, making it safe for a keto-friendly meal plan. In addition, eggplant contributes to high dietary fiber, antioxidants, and anti-inflammatory properties.
This eggplant lasagna recipe relies on two vegan cheeses: ricotta and mozzarella. Good vegan cheese brands can be hard to find, so we’d like to recommend a few based on many rounds of trial and error. For the ricotta, we recommend Kite Hill, and Violife for shredded mozzarella. These two cheeses mixed with plant-based milk, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and fresh parsley make for a dreamy and creamy cheese mixture that tastes heavenly with the eggplant and tomato sauce. A layer of vegan shredded mozzarella is the cherry on top for this eggplant lasagna recipe.
Perhaps the best part about this recipe is its simplicity – this keto and vegan eggplant lasagna is made with less than 10 ingredients, and comes together in just 35 minutes! Whip this dish up if you’re having a group of friends over, or if you want to eat it yourself throughout the week! If you plan on eating it throughout the week, you can keep the lasagna in its oven-safe baking dish when storing it in the fridge. Simply cover with foil and reheat in the oven when you want it!