Cauliflower Mash with Lentils & Mushrooms Recipe
by Analiese Trimber
- Blender or food processor
- Large pan
- 12 oz Frozen riced cauliflower
- 4 tbsp Olive oil
- 2 ½ tbsp Coconut cream
- 1 tsp Kosher salt
- ¾ tsp Ground pepper
- ½ tsp Garlic powder
- 8 oz Sliced mushrooms
- 15 oz Canned lentils
- ⅛ tsp Cayenne pepper
- ¼ tsp Chili powder
- 2 cups Spinach
- 1Prepare cauliflower rice to package instructions.
- 2Transfer cauliflower, coconut cream, ½ salt, ¼ tsp pepper, garlic powder, and 3 tbsp olive oil to a blender and blend until smooth.
- 3In a large pan, heat 1 tbsp olive oil. Add sliced mushrooms and sauté for 5-6 minutes, or until nearly done.
- 4Drain lentils and add to the pan, along with ¼ tsp salt, ¼ tsp pepper, cayenne pepper, ¼ tsp garlic powder, and chili powder.·Let simmer for 4-5 minutes, until lentils are warm.
- 5Serve! Top cauliflower mash with spinach and lentil mushroom blend. Optional: garnish with chopped parsley and red pepper flakes.
A Hearty Vegan Dish for Breakfast, Lunch or Dinner
Searching for a versatile and hearty dish that can be eaten for breakfast or dinner? Look no further. This creamy cauliflower mash with lentils & mushrooms recipe showcases the versatility of plants and plant-based eating by using only a few simple and nutritious ingredients and transforming them into complex and delicious flavors!
For this recipe, we use frozen riced cauliflower because it’s convenient and time-saving, without sacrificing nutritional value or taste. If you are more of a potato person, that’s cool too! You can easily replace the cauliflower with polenta or potatoes. We prefer cauliflower rice because it’s a low-carb alternative to grains. It’s also high in fiber, a good source of antioxidants, and packed with nutrients and vitamins. If you would like to use a food processor instead of a blender, it’s your choice because both work equally well in this situation. If you have neither, a potato ricer might work also.
This dish would not be the same without the addition of the powerful mushroom. These nutrient-packed fungi boost memory, bone and heart health, reduce aging, and give you energy. For this recipe, we sauté mushrooms for 5 to 6 minutes or until nearly done for the perfect consistency and flavor.
Move on over chickpeas, lentils are taking over. The versatile lentil is a staple for vegan cooking as a plant-based protein. Lentils are high in protein, a good source of iron and folic acid, and full of fiber and calcium. In a time crunch, a.k.a. super hungry? Conveniently canned lentils can reduce cook time by at least 30 minutes!
This simple ingredient recipe is jam-packed with nutritious value in every bite! With less than 400 calories and 15 grams protein per serving, this creamy cauliflower mash with lentils & mushrooms recipe is a dish that can fit into many meal plans. Enjoy this dish for breakfast with a fried egg on top if you’re not following a plant-based meal plan!