Zoodles with Avocado Pesto Recipe
by Analiese Trimber
- Baking sheet
- Large pan
- 3 cups Spiralized zucchini
- 1 large Avocado
- ½ cup packed Basil leaves
- 2 cloves Garlic
- 3 tbsp Toasted pine nuts
- 1 tbsp Lemon juice
- ½ tsp Pepper
- ⅛ tsp Cayenne pepper
- 3 ½ tbsp Olive oil
- 1 tbsp Water
- 10 Cherry tomatoes
- ¾ tsp Salt
- 2 tbsp Vegan ricotta cheese (optional)
- 1Place spiralized zucchini on a baking sheet lined with towels. Sprinkle with salt and let sweat for 10 minutes.
- 2Combine avocado, basil, garlic, pine nuts, lemon juice, ¼ tsp salt, ¼ tsp pepper, 2 ½ tbsp olive oil, ⅛ tsp cayenne pepper, and 1 tbsp water in a blender.·Blend until smooth.
- 3Chop cherry tomatoes in half.
- 4Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a large pan. Add zoodles, ¼ tsp salt, ¼ tsp pepper and sauté for about 3 minutes over medium-low heat.·Add tomatoes and sauté for another 3 minutes.
- 5Add sauce to zoodles. Stir and heat for 3-5 minutes or until sauce is warm. Serve!·Optional: top with vegan ricotta and pine nuts.
Creamy Pesto Without the Dairy
Those that eat dairy might tell you it’s impossible to make a rich sauce without cream, but this creamy avocado pesto recipe will prove them wrong! A refined and well-balanced sauce makes this zoodles with avocado pesto recipe a weeknight hit. This dish takes less than 30 minutes to prepare and is loaded with 48g of healthy fats per serving from nourishing avocado. Clocking in at 13 grams net carbs per serving, this dish is also perfect for those who are vegan but following the keto diet.
If you’re a pasta lover who feels like they’ve been missing out on their favorite foods because of the keto diet, you’ll be amped to know that perfectly al dente zucchini noodles are a fantastic replacement for the real deal. Paired with a creamy sauce with a hint of heat from cayenne pepper and a wave of herbaceousness from fresh basil, the flavors found in this zoodles with avocado pesto recipe are reminiscent of an indulgent pesto cream sauce but without the dairy.
Cherry tomatoes are added for a burst of juicy flavor as well as a hit of lycopene, which has been linked to lowering the risk of heart disease and cancer. A few tablespoons of pine nuts are a crucial ingredient to any pesto and are another heart-healthy addition to this satisfying and filling meal. Zucchini noodles are the vessel for all of these flavors and are an antioxidant and vegetable known for improving digestion.
By purchasing pre-spiralized zucchini for this zoodles recipe, you can cut down the total cooking time for this dish. However, if you’re in even more of a rush, check out our pre-made keto meal service to get all of your weekly meals delivered.
There are several suitable toppings for this dish. You can always sprinkle a few toasted pine nuts on top, or some vegan ricotta cheese like we did here. Red pepper flakes would also be a great option if you like some heat.