Shawarma Tofu with Turmeric Cauliflower Rice Recipe
by Analiese Trimber
- Tofu press or heavy book
- Baking sheets
- Large pan
- 14 oz Extra firm tofu
- 1 ½ tsp Coriander
- ½ tsp Pumpkin pie spice
- ½ tsp Ground cumin
- ½ tsp Ground turmeric
- 1 ¼ tsp Kosher salt
- 1 tsp Ground pepper
- 1 tbsp Tapioca starch
- 2 tbsp Avocado oil
- 3 cups Chopped broccoli
- ⅓ cup Diced onion
- 2 tbsp Minced garlic
- 12 oz Frozen riced cauliflower
- 3 tbsp Tahini (optional)
- 1Slice tofu in half so it is half as thick. Wrap in a towel and place a heavy book or other object on top for 5 minutes. Then cut tofu into small cubes.·Preheat oven to 425℉.
- 2In a large bowl, toss tofu cubes with 1 tbsp avocado oil, coriander, pumpkin pie spice, cumin, turmeric, ½ tsp kosher salt, ¼ tsp ground pepper, and tapioca starch. Mix to coat evenly.·Transfer tofu to a baking sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes, flipping halfway, until golden brown.
- 3Chop broccoli into florets. Transfer to a baking sheet. Toss with ½ tbsp avocado oil, ½ tsp kosher salt, and ½ tsp ground pepper.·Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until fork-tender.
- 4While broccoli & tofu bake, heat ½ tbsp avocado oil in a large pan. Add diced onion and sauté until translucent.·Add garlic and sauté for 1-2 min more.
- 5Add ¼ tsp kosher salt, ¼ tsp ground pepper, turmeric, and cauliflower rice. Stir to combine and cook for 8-10 minutes, or until done.·Serve with broccoli and tofu. Optional: drizzle with tahini.
A Vegan Take on a Classic + A Shawarma Spice Blend
If you’ve been looking for a meatless rendition of a delicious traditional shawarma dish, look no further! This shawarma tofu with turmeric cauliflower rice is a tasty, plant-based version of a favorite that fits both vegan and keto diet specifications! Aside from only carrying 9 grams net carbs per serving – which is about half of the keto diet’s recommended daily carb allowance – this entrée is high in fiber, amino acids and helps boost heart health, thanks in part to the incorporation of tofu and a cauliflower rice base.
Tofu is an awesome plant-based protein that contains all nine essential amino acids. It’s also rich in iron and calcium, and some consider tofu a superfood based on the amount of omega-3 fatty acids it contains. The addition of tofu to this dish really helps bring in a plant-based protein that fits with both keto and vegan meal plans; tofu also helps recreate the savory textures one would experience while eating traditional chicken shawarma. The recipe features an easy shawarma spice blend containing coriander, cumin, turmeric, salt, pepper, and pumpkin pie spice. We opted for pumpkin pie spice to save ingredients, since the blend contains cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and nutmeg. This easy homemade spice blend contains many of the spices associated with traditional shawarma, and tastes great when applied to tofu!
The shawarma tofu is served with turmeric cauliflower rice that is to die for! It’s easy to dress up frozen cauliflower rice, and in this case we did so by adding some sautéed garlic and onion in avocado oil, and ground turmeric for a stunning yellow color. By adding just a few simple ingredients, we transformed a notably bland ingredient into a symphony of flavors.
Enjoy your shawarma tofu with turmeric cauliflower rice with a serving of hearty roasted broccoli, which not only adds a beautiful green color to this dish, but also contributes a rich vitamin profile. Don’t forget to add a little drizzle of tahini to your meal for an extra boost of flavor!