Coconut Macaroons with Matcha Drizzle Recipe
by Analiese Trimber
- Hand mixer
- Rubber spatula
- 1 ¾ cup Unsweetened coconut flakes
- 3 Egg whites
- 3 ⅓ tbsp Powdered monkfruit sugar
- ½ tsp Matcha powder
- 2 tsp Vanilla extract
- ¼ cup Coconut butter, softened
- ⅛ tsp Kosher salt
- 1Beat egg whites with an electric hand mixer until they reach medium peaks. (i.e. Make sure that when you tip the bowl, the egg whites are stiff enough to not move).·Preheat oven to 325°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- 2Gradually add in 3 tbsp powdered monkfruit, salt, and vanilla to egg whites while beating with the electric mixer.
- 3Fold in coconut flakes in three batches with a rubber spatula, making sure not to deflate the air bubbles in the egg whites.·Transfer mixture to a cookie sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until golden brown. Let cool completely.
- 4In a bowl, combine softened coconut butter, matcha powder, and 1 tsp powdered monkfruit.·The mixture should be loose enough to drizzle. If it becomes grainy, microwave in 10 second increments, whisking in between, until it reaches a pourable consistency.
- 5Drizzle matcha mixture over macaroons. Let set in the fridge or on the counter.
A Colorful Twist on a Classic
When it comes to baking, eggs are a magical ingredient. You can whip air into them and use them as a leavening agent, and they also provide necessary moisture and binding properties to most batters. Potentially one of the most underutilized ways to use eggs when baking is in the form of a meringue, a.k.a. a sweet and deliciously chewy egg white-based mixture that is cooked at a low temperature for its notable chewiness. A fluffy meringue is the base of these coconut macaroons with matcha drizzle, a fun and keto-friendly take on the classic coconut cookie with only 5 grams net carbs per serving, which includes two cookies! Other macros net in at 240 calories, 20 grams fat, and 5 grams protein.
This keto-friendly coconut macaroons recipe only contains five ingredients, and comes together in just 30 minutes. The recipe starts with egg whites that are whipped and then flavored with vanilla extract and powdered monk fruit sugar and a bit of salt. Unsweetened coconut flakes are then folded into the fluffy egg white mixture, divided into individual cookies, and baked until golden brown. Finally, these airy coconut cookies are drizzled with a glaze made from coconut butter, more powdered monk fruit sugar, and matcha powder.
The macros for these coconut macaroons are very keto-friendly. In addition to their compatibility with the keto diet, egg whites and coconut provide unique nutritional benefits. Coconut is packed with antioxidants and has been known to contribute to heart health. Coconut is also very high in a mineral called manganese, which helps with brain function and bone formation, to name a few. Egg whites are low in calories, high in protein, and naturally cholesterol-free, making them a healthy and versatile addition to any meal plan. The last boost of antioxidants in this dish comes from the matcha drizzle, a vibrant green ribbon of yumminess hugging the edges of these chewy macaroons!