It can be tough at times to find filling and convenient snacks when you have dietary restrictions. And even if you don’t have dietary restrictions, it can be difficult to find snacks you won’t feel guilty eating or not feeling as well.
For some of us, snacking season runs year around. And when we don’t have a healthy snack on hand, it can be troublesome sifting through vending machine options (a candy bar just won’t do!). Filling your day with healthy snacks is important to keep your metabolism running and your blood sugar levels stable. However, when the options are overwhelming (how many different ‘protein bars’ are there these days?) and you aren’t quite sure how healthy they really are for you, it is more likely that you will impulsively grab an unhealthy option, or even get to the point that you are so hungry you will splurge on processed and fried fast food.
To help you avoid the above circumstances, we have curated a list of nutrient dense vegan snack ideas that will keep you satisfied until your next meal.
- Nuts & seeds are a vegan snack powerhouse. They contain a good amount of protein and healthy fats that will keep you feeling fuller for longer. Almonds, cashews, walnuts, brazil nuts, chia, hemp, flaxseeds, pepitas are all great options. Even better? You can buy them in bulk and mix and match to create your own tail mix (minus the chocolate chips and M&M’s, perhaps). Instead, you can add in some dried goji berries that are packed with powerful antioxidants and will still satisfy that sweet tooth craving. For your convenience, Fresh ‘N Lean has added flavorful raw almonds as an a la carte option to our meal plans under snacks! Flavors include cinnamon maple, chili lime, BBQ, and rosemary garlic. They are great for on-the-go, as they come in snack packs. As a general rule, stick to only a handful of nuts and seeds in one sitting.
- Kale Chips are a much better option than genetic chips, and are packed with iron, calcium, and vitamin C. We offer our Superfood Kale Chips for purchase alongside your meals through our a la carte menu.
- Crisps come in handy when you are craving french fries or that crunch. Our crisps are made with organic pepitas and sunflower seeds. They come in flavors such as Sesame Thai, Tomato Basil, and Chipotle Lime, so there is something for everyone.
- Seaweed Snacks are perfect for when a salt craving hits. Instead of reaching for processed and MSG-laden chips, these packs are low in calories and provide a nice crunch. They are high in fiber, protein, and iodine.
- Nut butter & apple or banana slices is one of my favorite snacks! These days, you can purchase nut butters in on-the-go individual sized packets which are helpful for portion size control. Almond, peanut, cashew, sunflower butters – take your pick! Pair a nut butter packet with half an apple or banana and wa-la, you have a healthy & satisfying snack on-the-go.
- Raw veggies like celery (pair with a nut packet?), carrots, and snap peas make for a refreshing snack & a crunch! Pair with an organic, low-sodium hummus and you’ve got yourself a complete snack!
- Larabar (or a homemade larabar) are a safe option for a snack bar. They are made with only dried fruit and nuts, no added sugars, fillers, or processed/synthetic ingredients. The Cashew Cookie, Lemon Pie, Cherry Pie, and Apple Pie are lower sugar favorites!
- Fruit smoothies are a refreshing snack to help keep energy levels up before your next meal. Smoothies are also a great way to add in extra nutrients throughout your day in a punch! For a quick and easy recipe, try simply blending ½ cup almond milk, 1 handful spinach or kale, ½ a frozen banana, and some frozen berries. For a more protein-filled power smoothie, add a healthy fat like ¼ an avocado or chia/flax/hemp seeds and an organic vegan protein powder.
While snack foods can be one of the trickiest things for vegans to find, with a bit of creativity and experimenting, you will find that there are plenty of healthy food items to help keep your energy levels up and hunger at bay.