The image of a skinny tree hugging hippie has typically been the poster child of veganism. After all, there’s no way vegans can be muscular, fit and even bulky without eating animal protein, right?
Vegan athletes like Frank Medrano, and David Carter are changing the negative stereotypes, proving that plant-based protein can not only build strong muscles, but can keep a vegan healthy enough to run, swim, bike, dance or pump iron – no flesh-eating necessary.
So how do you get your protein? Here are 8 vegan sources to try on for size:
1. Spinach: Yep, good old greens will pack a protein punch. One cup of cooked spinach has about 7 grams of protein. The same serving of French beans has about 13 grams.. One cup of boiled peas? Nine grams. You get the idea.
2. Kale. Two cups of cooked kale ? 5 grams
3. Quinoa. I love quinoa ! It’s versatile, delicious and delivers about 9 grams of protein per cup.
4. Tofu. Four ounces of tofu will get you about 9 grams of protein. And at about 2 bucks a pop, it’s a cheap vegan’s BFF.
5. Lentils. With lentils, you can make rice dishes, veggie burgers, casseroles and more. One cup cooked delivers a whopping 18 grams of protein!
6. Black Beans. They really are the magical fruit. With one cup of pinto, kidney or black beans, you’ll get about 13-15 grams of protein, a full belly and heart-healthy fiber.
7. Broccoli. One cup of broccoli packs about 8.29 grams of protein! That’s more than a steak!
8. Chickpea. Packed with 39 grams in a cup! The best source of protein for a plant-base diet.
Link to: Home – Fresh N Lean A healthy meal doorstep delivery service
Link back : Blog Post