Tofu Quinoa Sushi Roll Recipe
by Analiese Trimber
- Small pot
- Towel or bamboo sheet
- Plastic wrap
- ½ cup White quinoa
- 1 cup Water
- ¼ tsp Kosher salt
- 8 oz High protein tofu
- 3 tbsp Soy sauce
- ½ Red bell pepper
- ½ Avocado
- 4 Sushi nori sheets
- 2 tbsp Pickled sushi ginger (optional)
- 1Add quinoa, water, and salt to a small pot. Bring to a boil, then turn the heat down. Cover and simmer on low for 15 minutes or until all water is absorbed.
- 2Cut tofu into ½ inch wide strips. Place in a shallow bowl and pour soy sauce on top.·Marinate in soy sauce for 5 minutes.
- 3Slice bell pepper into thin strips.
- 4Slice avocado into thin slices.
- 5Lay down a towel, then cover with a sheet of plastic wrap. Take a sheet of nori and spread quinoa on top. Add tofu strips, bell pepper slices and avocado, then roll up and cut into slices.·Optional: serve with extra soy sauce and sushi ginger.
Vegan Sushi, Without Sacrificing Protein
If you love sushi, but aren’t always into eating fish, this tofu quinoa sushi roll recipe might become your go-to! Here’s a simple vegan and higher protein solution that will give your homemade sushi the same look and feel as what you’d get at a sushi bar. So, if you’ve been looking for a delicious, easy-to-make vegan sushi recipe, this tofu quinoa sushi will definitely check all your boxes!
Using quinoa and tofu will really help deliver some awesome nutrients and essential amino acids. Quinoa is an amazing, high protein plant-based food. With high levels of potassium, fiber, iron and vitamins B & E, quinoa is extremely healthy overall. Technically, quinoa is a seed, not a grain. Typically grains have more protein than seeds, but quinoa has more protein than most grains and is very high in antioxidants, which are a helpful defense to the aging process.
What’s especially beneficial about quinoa are the two key flavonoids quercetin and kaempferol, which can be found in various berries and have been known to show anti-inflammatory and antidepressant characteristics in lab studies. Start preparing your tofu quinoa sushi roll by boiling your quinoa in a small pot until all the water is absorbed.
Combining tofu with quinoa can only enhance the levels of powerful antioxidants and amino acids. In fact, tofu contains all nine essential amino acids, which the body does not produce on its own. While tofu may be a bit bland, use that to your advantage by adding different spices and sauces. In this tofu quinoa sushi roll recipe, we will be using avocado and bell pepper for some color, creaminess, and flavor.
In less than 30 minutes, you’ve learned how to make beautiful, plant-based meal plan-friendly, tofu quinoa sushi rolls that are less than 430 calories per serving and packed with more than 25 grams of protein. This recipe makes about four total rolls, so there are two rolls per serving. This portion size will keep you full for longer!