Protein Cookie Dough Stuffed Dates Recipe
by Analiese Trimber
- Food processor
- Baking sheet
- Microwave-safe bowl
- 15 oz Canned chickpeas, rinsed & drained
- ½ cup Almond butter
- 3 tbsp Maple syrup
- 50g Vegan vanilla protein powder
- ¼ tsp Kosher salt
- ½ cup Vegan chocolate chips
- 12 Pitted Medjool dates
- 1 tbsp Flaky sea salt (optional)
- 1Add chickpeas, almond butter, maple syrup, protein powder, and kosher salt to a food processor. Blend until a dough forms.
- 2Remove blade and stir in 1/4 cup chocolate chips.
- 3Slice dates open and stuff with cookie dough.
- 4Place remaining 1/4 cup chocolate chips in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave in 30-second increments, stirring in between, until melted.
- 5Drizzle chocolate mixture over dates. Optional: top with flaky sea salt.·Let set in the fridge and then keep in the refrigerator until ready to eat.
A New Alternative to Protein Bars
Edible cookie dough has been all the rage lately, and what better way to indulge in this legendary treat than by adding your favorite protein powder, stuffing the dough between dates, and drizzling it in chocolate? That’s right, these vegan protein cookie dough stuffed dates have 18 grams of protein per serving, making them an easy vegan snack to eat on the way to or from the gym, or whenever you crave them. One serving is 2-3 stuffed dates, which is filling and energy-boosting with 513 calories, 70 grams carbohydrates, and 22 grams of fat.
Dates are the star of the show of this recipe, and are one of the best ingredients of all time! They are extremely high in antioxidants and polyphenols. Additionally, despite being so sweet in taste, dates have a low glycemic index. Their firm structure makes them perfect to hold a heaping portion of cookie dough, and their chewy texture contrasts nicely to the doughy nature of our protein cookie dough. We used chickpeas as the base for the dough, because this legume has a creamy texture while imparting high quality plant-based protein. We supplemented additional protein in the form of vanilla vegan protein powder. Feel free to choose whatever brand you prefer. However, we highly suggest using vanilla flavor. If you want to use plain because that’s what you have, we suggest adding 1 tsp vanilla extract to the dough to get that vanilla-y taste!
These protein cookie dough stuffed dates are a great vegan meal plan-friendly snack that you can make at the beginning of the week and store in the fridge until you’re ready to eat! The balanced flavors of chocolate chip cookie dough made with creamy almond butter and chickpeas works so well with sweet dates and your choice of vegan chocolate chips. Say goodbye to protein bars filled with hidden ingredients and hello to clean, vegan protein cookie dough stuffed dates! Just a heads up, this recipe makes a good amount of dough! Feel free to save the leftovers and eat it plain, or slice open more dates for stuffing.