Cauliflower Pesto Flatbread Recipe
by Analiese Trimber
- Blender or food processor
- Large bowl
- Baking sheet
- Parchment paper
- 12 oz Frozen riced cauliflower
- 6 tbsp Golden flaxseed meal
- ¾ cup Shredded mozzarella (regular or vegan)
- ⅓ cup Vegan-friendly pesto
- ⅓ cup Halved cherry tomatoes
- ½ cup Sliced cremini mushrooms
- ¾ cup Almond flour
- 2 tbsp Tapioca flour
- ¼ tsp Baking powder
- ½ tsp Ground pepper
- ½ tsp Kosher salt
- 5 tbsp Water
- 1 tbsp Red pepper flakes (optional)
- ½ cup Arugula (optional)
- 1Prepare riced cauliflower to package instructions. While cauliflower cooks, combine 2 tbsp golden flaxseed meal with 5 tbsp water. Stir together and let gel for 5 minutes.·Preheat oven to 450°F.
- 2Add cooked cauliflower rice to blender and blend until smooth.
- 3In a large bowl, combine blended cauliflower, flax eggs, salt, pepper, almond flour, tapioca starch, baking powder, ⅓ cup shredded mozzarella, and ¼ cup flaxseed meal.
- 4Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spray with non-stick spray. Using a spatula, spread crust mixture out into desired shape on baking sheet.·Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until crust is golden brown.
- 5Once crust is brown, remove from oven and spread with pesto sauce. Add sliced mushrooms, cherry tomatoes, and remaining mozzarella.·Cook for another 8-10 minutes or until veggies are cooked and cheese are melted.
The Answer To Your Keto (and Vegan) Pizza Cravings
Pizza and other carb-based dishes have always been tough to translate over into a keto-friendly meal plan. The main difficulty is finding a good flour substitute that is low in carbohydrates, but starchy enough to bind. In this cauliflower pesto flatbread recipe, we seek to put an end to questionable pizza crusts by creating our own out of riced cauliflower, flaxseed meal, almond flour, tapioca flour, shredded cheese – your choice of vegan or regular – and spices. This recipe makes six servings, with 261 calories, 6 grams net carbohydrates, 19 grams of fat, and 11 grams of protein.
By using a flatbread crust made of vegetables and high fiber additions like golden flaxseeds, we’re able to pack in much more nutritional value than your standard pizza crust made with wheat-based flour. Cauliflower rice is the base of this recipe and contributes high fiber and antioxidants, in addition to being a great source of vitamin B. This cauliflower pesto flatbread recipe calls for frozen riced cauliflower for a couple of reasons – first is out of convenience, but the other reasons is that frozen rice cauliflower has a lot of the water drained or removed from the vegetable. You can replace it with your own fresh riced cauliflower, but note you will likely need to squeeze a good amount of water out of it before incorporating it into the crust.
Many pizza crust recipes call for an egg or two, but we used two flax eggs in this recipe to make it vegan-friendly in addition to keto-friendly. When mixed with water, flaxseed meal turns into a gel that has a very similar consistency and binding nature to a real egg. To top our keto-friendly cauliflower flatbread, we chose to use pesto instead of a traditional red pizza sauce mainly since it’s higher in fat and lower in carbohydrates. Sliced cremini mushrooms, cherry tomatoes, and more shredded cheese round out this pie, resulting in a delicious and veg-heavy entree.