Cauliflower Grits with Mushrooms & Avocado Recipe
by Analiese Trimber
- 12 oz Frozen riced cauliflower
- 1 Avocado
- 8 oz Sliced cremini mushrooms
- 8 tbsp Unsweetened coconut creamer
- 3 tbsp Cream cheese (vegan or regular)
- ½ cup Shredded cheddar cheese (vegan or regular)
- 3 tbsp Olive oil
- ½ tsp Salt
- ½ tsp Pepper
- ¼ cup Chopped green onions (optional)
- ¼ tsp Paprika (optional)
- ⅛ tsp Cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1Add frozen cauliflower rice to a medium sauté pan. Put lid on and cook on low for about 5 minutes or until thawed, stirring occasionally.
- 2Add 6 tbsp coconut milk creamer, cream cheese, 1 tbsp olive oil, ¼ tsp salt, and ¼ tsp pepper to the cauliflower rice.·Stir and simmer on low for about 5 minutes, or until liquid is absorbed.
- 3Add cheddar cheese and 2 tbsp coconut milk creamer to pan. Stir until cheese is melted.
- 4In a separate pan, heat 2 tbsp olive oil. Once hot, add mushrooms, salt, pepper, and cayenne.·Sauté for about 5-7 minutes or until mushrooms are cooked.
- 5Slice avocado. Serve with grits and mushrooms.·Optional, garnish with green onions and paprika.
Grits Just Got A Makeover
Cauliflower is one of those things you either love or hate. In all honesty, I’ve been sort of iffy on this vegetable, especially how it has become the replacement for most carbs. There’s no denying its practicality, but I’m all for eating the real deal when you can. However, I realize that’s not possible on some diets, especially keto and paleo. So in my quest of making dairy-free and vegan food taste great, I decided to give the cauliflower substitute a try.
When thinking about classic breakfast dishes I wanted to make vegan and keto-friendly, grits automatically popped into my mind. Typically, grits are corn-based, making them a no-no even on the paleo diet. But riced cauliflower is a great replacement, begrudgingly. While I was really ready to not be here for these keto-friendly cauliflower grits, I surprised myself with how good they are. They are super creamy and bursting with flavor from just a few seasonings.
In this keto grits recipe, riced cauliflower is hit with a trifecta of goodness: cheddar cheese, cream cheese, and unsweetened coconut creamer. These three ingredients take this dish from blah to amazing. The best part is that you can totally use vegan cheese and cream cheese, making this dish vegan-friendly as well. If you can eat dairy, go for it! Especially if you are keto, then feel free to go wild with the dairy.
These creamy grits are then topped with meaty mushrooms and creamy avocado, the perfect combination for a filling breakfast that’s insanely easy to make and can be ready in just 20 minutes.
This dish would be the perfect recipe to make on a night when you have a little bit more time on your hands and can afford to cook a meal rather than heating up a prepared keto meal from your weekly meal plan.