Lentils are an excellent source of plant-based protein for vegans and vegetarians. Lentils are low in fat, calories, and sodium, while providing you with important vitamins and minerals such as vitamin B, magnesium, and potassium.
Did you know that ¼ cup of lentils provides:
- 28% of your daily fiber
- 15% of your daily iron
- 25% of your daily folate
*Based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
My favorite thing about lentils is that they are so diverse! You can cook a large quantity of lentils at the beginning of the week and use them throughout in various different dishes. I like to add lentils to a salad, soup, curry, stir fry, tacos, you name it. They are very easy to cook – you can place them in a crockpot, rice cooker, or simply boil them in a pot with water.
If you are generally not the biggest fan of lentils, sneaking them into dishes is a great place to start! I guarantee that our ‘make it your own’ Fresh ‘n Lean Lentil Taco recipe will please anyone from a meat lover to a picky eater.
Fresh ‘n Lean Lentil Tacos
- 1 Fresh ‘n Lean Lentil dish
- 1 Bag Organic Corn Tortillas
- 1 Avocado
- 1 Organic Onion
- 1 Bunch Organic Cilantro
- 1 Organic Roma Tomato
- 1 Organic Lime (optional)
- Heat up your Fresh ‘n Lean Lentil dish according to the directions on the container- you can use the microwave, oven, or stovetop.
- In the meantime, make your guacamole: chop the onion, tomato, and cilantro. Mash the avocado. Combine the onion, tomato, and cilantro with the avocado mash and stir until combined. Squeeze ½ a lime into the guacamole and stir. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat up your corn tortillas in a saucepan over medium heat with some coconut or avocado oil.
- Once the tortillas are warm, scoop some lentils into the tacos and top with guacamole and cilantro. Enjoy!
This is a very quick meal (about 10 minute prep) that will serve 2 people.
What are some of your favorite ways to eat lentils?