Why Dairy-Free Food?
Many people are confounded by the idea of not consuming dairy products. In fact, the opposite should be true. We should be shocked we consume so many dairy products. No other animal consumes dairy products after weaning. Other animals may consume eggs, meats, and plants, but they do not drink milk.
Following this logic, it’s somewhat unnatural for humans to consume dairy after infancy. Science seems to back this up.
The Facts and Figures
By the time 60% of people reach the age of five, their body cease to produce an enzyme called lactase. Lactase breaks down lactose, a sugar found in milk. Without this enzyme, the sugar ferments in the gut, causing several problems. This results in flatulence, diarrhea, extreme bloating, and cramping.
These problems are collectively known as lactose intolerance. It makes it seem like the inability to consume dairy is unusual. But the opposite is true. Most people can’t consume dairy without problems.
For example, if 60% of humans had adverse reactions to eating tomatoes, cucumbers, or any plant-based products, then that food would be deemed as unnatural for human consumption. So why is dairy okay?
Benefits of a Dairy-Free Diet
The dairy-free lifestyle becomes more attractive with the more we learn. Dr. Mark Hyman, physician and New York Times best-selling author, strongly support only eating dairy-free food. Dr. Hyman and other medical experts give several reasons why a dairy-free lifestyle is beneficial.
- One of the supposed main benefits of consuming dairy is that it gives strong bones. In fact, there’s little evidence to show that milk reduces bone fractures. Dr. Walter Willett, a physician and nutrition, says that diary may actually increase the risk of bone fracture by up to 50%.
- The dairy industry claims that dairy products help with bone problems. But osteoporosis, a condition which makes bones weak and brittle, is rarest in many countries that have the lowest consumption of dairy.
- Studies show that extra calcium doesn’t decrease bone fractures. Vitamin D is actually much better than calcium for this. Vitamin D is found in most plant-based foods.
- Risks of prostate cancer are higher in men that have high levels of calcium and dairy
- Calcium has many benefits, but those don’t have to be in dairy. Calcium is is many dark, leafy greens.
- Remember the milk moustache commercials? The Federal Trade Commission made the US Department of Agriculture (USDA) look into the claims they made in those commercials. In the end, the USDA found that science debunked the claims these commercials made about milk.
The science is straight-forward. Dairy products are unnatural to consume and could even do damage to adults.
At Fresh n’ Lean, we recommend a dairy-free diet. We prepare and ship fresh meals all over the country. And we love dairy-free food.
Whatever your path is, we hope you’ll take a second look at whether dairy is right for you and your family. Plants are full of great nutrition and flavor. Why not give the dairy-free lifestyle a try?